Friday, January 7, 2011

Musings of a confused Doc

The post-holiday week started out in typical whirlwind fashion.  Assignments due (can someone remind me why I am doing a Masters while working?), start of a new rotation with 1 in 4 call (again, I chose to do this, WTF is wrong with me), my own pre-holiday patients needing follow up, meetings, and a mountain of paperwork.

Now that I'm back into the swing of things, I'm really thinking more about what is important in life.  It sounds corny, yes. Agreed. But being happy and having time to spend with people you care about is increasingly becoming a top priority, in a way it wasn't a few years ago when "school school school work work work" was my mantra, and 60 to 80 hour work weeks were the norm.

This comes on the heels of being offered another job position with Hospital X.  As some of you know, a certain Doc had originally planned on working at Hospital Y come summer.   This should be a positive, having another offer to consider, but in fact it has thrown me for a loop and my anxiety level over what to do when all of this is over is rapidly increasing.   Part of me wonders if I should be doing this at all - or if I should be going in a totally different direction.  Is this where I am after 9 years of post-grad education???  Do we all feel this way, just a little bit, but hide it because we're not sure what to do next, and we're past the mid-twenties phase of life?

I guess time will tell.  For now, I'm lucky to have a certain designer to help me on my way...who says that even if I decide to work in part-time waste disposal he'll still stick around.

No comments:

Post a Comment